Thursday 13 September 2012

And so it begins...

So I arrived in Taiwan and managed to make it through customs with an open packet of Biltong in my bag. Not as impressive as Mitch who brought through a bottle of spirits. (Good one Mitch)
I was greeted by a very lovely student called Grace or Chiu-Yi. She has been the most amazing help!
I slept in the car ride so I didnt get to see a lot of the scenery on the way here, but the University grounds are beautiful!

this is the view from the common room just outside my room. Amy and I are on the 6th floor of the girls dorm. Unfortunately our room is on the other side of the building is not the panoramic city view but it still isn't bad....



I was the first person to move in to our 4 bedroom dorm room. It got a bit lonely last night and Im going to admit that I slept with a night light on. But I got a solid 12 hours sleep, with another 2 hour nap after breakfast so I feel a lot better! 

Ted these ones are for you :) These are the fish in the pond outside one of the restaurants on the way to the cafeteria. How cool would they look in your backyard?





For Dee! Should I try the Asparagus juice? or maybe the Tuna Sugar?! Both of these I found while trying to rummage together a decent breakfast that wasn't deep fried or a dumpling. 
Tonight Mitch and I tried out the restaurant for dinner. I ordered the Asparagus salad which was pretty much a pile of steamed asparagus drowned in mayonnaise and sprinkled with some raison. I don't know how everyone here isn't the size of a whale! 





BREAKFAST! 
Salad (because it was fresh and plain). 'No Sugar Added' yoghurt. Plain nuts and dried fruit, and the first banana I have had in ages! 


I did manage to find a grocery store that is walking distance which sells fresh fruit and vegetables. Although they had sold out of a few things by the time I got there at 1pm. One of the girls who worked their managed to find me some apples which almost made me cry with happiness! I think I am currently taking up more than my allocated space in the communal fridges. (Oops) But it's so good to have plain nuts and celery to snack on during the day :) (Deirdre you will probably be the only person who can truly appreciate this)

Just finished an intense workout? Bikram class? Nah, just some casual grocery shopping and hill climbing. It's hard to see from this picture, but the sweat was dripping off my nose after a 20 minute walk. Woo! 

I met two of the other exchange students today. They are from Baltimore and their room is right across the corridor from mine. A girl from Finland caught the same bus as me today. She is here to study in the Fine Arts department. The poor girl was really not coping well with the heat. I will meet the rest of the exchange students tomorrow. I didn't realise there would be so many here for so many faculties and from all over the world. 


Oh, and for Ciara. This is the Blood Pressure Monitor that you will find in random places around campus.
This one was in the office where I went to pay my dormitory fees. For those who get a bit stressed out when it comes to money?


 Grace told me this afternoon that there is a Typhoon forecast for sometime this weekend but not to worry because they aren't really a big deal. WHAT?!
Going to go stock up on things tomorrow though!


I will take some more photos of the university ground tomorrow if I can, and on Saturday Grace is taking us to the markets! (typhoon permitting)



No comments:

Post a Comment