Sunday 14 October 2012

The weekends go so quickly.

Sorry that I have been so quiet lately. Things got really busy and then I got sick. But there will be a few posts uploaded in quick succession!
This photo was taken at Tamsui MRT station as we arrived for the Mid-Autumn or Moon Festival which is one of the most important festivals on the Chinese calender. 



These delightful things are Moon Cakes, which are traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn festival and are considered a delicacy.
Moon cakes are offered between friends or on family gatherings while celebrating the festival. 
These were given to me by a girl in one of my Eastern classes :) and they were delicious! 

The filling is usually made from red bean or lotus seed paste covered in a type of pastry. I typically don't have a very sweet tooth, but I got through one of these without a problem!



SHOPPING! Here is a bit of a collection of things that I found in the markets in Danshui.

The text on this phone cover reads:
Aromatically
I want your love forever
I need your love

Aromatically?

"Queer Aid"

Wasabi Chocolate - I wonder if this is anything like Chili Chocolate? Would anyone else like some? 

Deirdre! Curiosity go the better of me and I tried some of this.
It is exactly what you would expect. It tastes like some one put apple juice in milk, or milk in apple juice and then added some sugar.
I only got through two sips. That was enough.
THE BIGGEST TUB OF PEANUT BUTTER I'VE EVER SEEN!! This would be dangerous on Dehli Street! 


.... Eye tape.
Probably helpful for staying awake during long lectures? Or finishing off those pesky 2nd year BA assignments?









'Fried Pork Fiber for Baby'. None of that purified apple or pumpkin rubbish. Give baby the good stuff! 





And finally... 'Ginkgo Semen Almond Grain Powder'.
I just don't even know with this one.






SHILIN NIGHT MARKETS!!!

The first thing that MUST be said about the Shilin night markets is that the fruit stands are INCREDIBLE!! Taiwan is famous for it's fruit, and this is why!
Everything on that stand was ridiculously fresh, ridiculously tasty and ridiculously cheap.
I was in heaven. I already know I have to go back there just for this.

I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked to in the markets, but that is simply because I was overwhelmed. Shilin is the most famous of the night markets in Taiwan and by far the busiest. There are just so many shops and stalls down every little alley and side street.
The markets open every day at about 4pm. With the busiest hours being between 8-11pm and it finally winds down at around 1-2am.

After getting over the initial shock, Eve and I started to realise that a lot of the shops were selling the same things for roughly the same price. It is definitely too big to tackle all in one night so I will try and get some photos next time I make the trip.

For nick. Happy Hanukkah!












They sell so many jumpers and costumes for cats and dogs.
Hercules is going to be the best dressed cat in Perth!
Unfortunately there was nothing to fit a dog as big as Pepsi, but i'll get Lucky a Rat costume.

The Duck is for Hercules.



1 comment:

  1. DUCK CAT!! His life is complete.
    And I love apples and milk! Can that come home please? with the wasabia chocolate.

    ReplyDelete